We welcome everyone to come and visit the churchyard
Please remember that for many it is the last resting place of someone they loved, and they regard it as a sacred space.
It is a lovely, peaceful place, despite its proximity to the road.
For everyone's enjoyment of this space we ask that:
• The Garden of Remembrance is kept as a natural area for reflection. No flowers nor any form of plaque is allowed.
• For graves and marked cremation plots: cut flowers are laid, or they and small plants may be placed in a vessel forming part of the memorial. If a removable container is used it should be stable and if possible sunk into the ground so as to be almost invisible.
• Bulbs and small annual plants may be planted in the soil of any grave, but no area should be marked out by edging or covering other than grass.
• Cards, ornaments or other mementos should not normally be placed anywhere in the churchyard. An exception for a small card may be allowed to commemorate a special anniversary or Christmas but such cards should be removed after 1 month.
• Following the burial of a child a small toy or ornament may be left on the burial site but this should be removed after 12 months.
Flowers, wreaths and plants should be removed as soon as they appear to be withered or dead. Bins are provided behind the church.
The erection of any memorial must be approved. An application for permission should be made to the Priest-in-charge by letter or using the form “Application to introduce a Memorial into a Churchyard” obtainable from the Benefice Administration Office (email@example.com). Once placed no gravestone or memorial may be moved or removed without permission.
The Church Council may at its discretion remove and dispose of any artificial flowers, unapproved memorials, grave surrounds or coverings, and other items placed in the churchyard without permission.
full copy of the Churchyard Rules can be obtained from the Benefice Administration
The churchyard is maintained at the sole expense of the current congregation. Donations can be left in church or sent to The Treasurer, 12 Ridings Mead, Chippenham SN15 1PG, cheques payable to PCC St. Nicholas Hardenhuish.